September 24, 2017
Organic Lawn Care – Easy as 1-2-3!
Who doesn’t want a vibrant green lawn!? In this article, find out how to take care of your lawn the organic way. Organic lawn care is a great option for those who would rather not use chemicals, especially if you have a well for drinking water or if you have kids or pets. Natural lawn care can reduce your total inputs for lawn maintenance and improving your water quality in your community.
It’s not easy being green! Healthy, beautiful, and natural organic lawns take time; it is not just about using natural products or organic fertilizers. It becomes an annual process. Over time, we are building and promoting a balanced soil area. The best approach is to keep things simple. It does not take much to maintain a lawn. Following a few basic practices is all it takes. Let’s cut to the chase…
The Basics of Lawn Care
- Soil Care – Taking care of your soil is essential. Without nutritious and well cared for soil, there would be no lawn. For new lawns, we suggest top dressing with two inches of topsoil and organic matter, such as Bumper Crop to existing topsoil. For an existing lawn, apply a quarter to half an inch of topsoil or organic matter. A soil pH test can help ensure how much additional work is needed to keep nutritional levels where needed. Bring in your soil to get tested in a sealed plastic bag. We will be happy to assist you!
Water deeply, but infrequently. The grass roots need moisture, but to remain healthy they need proper irrigation. An inch of water per week can make all the difference during the growing season. The best time to water is in the morning. There is smaller chance for disease. Water evaporates more easily, preventing excess moisture and providing balance.
Fertilization keeps soil nutrient rich and can even protect your lawn from weed growth. Experts often stress fall fertilizing. It helps nourish your lawn when it is starving for nutrients. Use Espoma Organic Lawn Fertilizer during September. We also recommend using Espoma Organic Fall Winterizer between early September and mid November. We’ve laid out more products below!
Espoma Organic Fall Winterizer.
- Grass Care – It is important to mow your lawn when the grass is dry to promote healthy growth. In early spring, cut lower, but only remove up to a third of the grass in one mowing. Don’t be afraid to leave the clippings. Mulched clippings add organic matter and recycle some nitrogen. Don’t be afraid to cut low again the last few times you mow for the season. This is to avoid snow mold.
When mowing a more shaded area, it is important to strike a balance. All of your plants including your lawn are sharing valuable ground space, nutrients, water, and sunlight.
- Seeding – Overseed, as necessary when large patches need treatment. Seeding is best to do in now, in mid September, so grass can easily establish before winter and with proper watering to allow germination.
- Lime – As mentioned above, pH affects grass health. Liming increases nutrient availability and reduces toxicity in the soil. Lime is used when needed to buffer acidity. We recommend Espoma Lightning Lime to strike down that acidity. It also greens up your grass color!
Suggested Products for Organic Lawn Care
All of our Espoma organic products are safe for kids and pets. They help you grow an all-natural lawn and feed it; making your lawn the best it can be… the organic way!
Here are a few suggested Espoma organic products to use:
- Espoma Organic Weed Preventer – Made from corn gluten meal. Prevents dandelions, crabgrass, and other weeds from taking over.
Espoma Organic Weed Preventer.
- Espoma All Season Organic Lawn Food – Made of an exclusive bio-tone formula. All Season Lawn Food is environmentally friendly, non-burning, all natural, and long lasting.
Espoma Organic All Season Lawn Food.
- Espoma Organic Fall Winterizer Lawn Food – For a winter strong lawn. Promotes early spring greening. It is environmentally friendly, non-burning, all natural, and long lasting.
- Espoma Spring Lawn Booster – Fortified with calcium! It is environmentally friendly, non-burning, all natural, and long lasting.
Espoma Organic Spring Lawn Booster.
- Espoma Summer Revitalizer – Made for a deep green summer lawn – turning your lawn from yellow to green. It contains Iron, is environmentally friendly, non-burning, all natural, and long lasting.
Espoma Organic Summer Revitalizer.
When to Apply Espoma Organic Lawn Care Products
Timing is crucial for treating your lawn. Below are suggested date guidelines and products to use on your lawn to keep it happy, healthy, and organic.
- Tax Day (April 15, 2018) – Apply Espoma Organic Weed Preventer
- Memorial Day (May 28, 2018) – Apply Espoma All Season Organic Lawn Food
- Labor Day (Sept 3, 2018) – Apply the second round of Espoma Organic Weed Preventer if not reseeding in the fall. If reseeding in the fall, use Espoma All Season Organic Lawn Food.
- Thanksgiving (Nov 22, 2018) – Apply Espoma Organic Fall Winterizer Lawn Food.
There are other options for a green up, if you are not concerned about weeds. We suggest using Espoma Spring Lawn Booster and Espoma Summer Revitalizer to freshen up and green your lawn organically during the spring and summer, respectfully. Please note*** these products won’t treat weeds.
Lastly, we want you to know… there is no such thing as a perfect lawn! Lawns maintained with natural or organic products can make your lawn stronger and healthier. It all depends on healthy soil and taking simple steps.
If you are unsure of where to begin, don’t worry! Our Garden Center staff is readily available to help you test the pH of your soil or recommend seed, organic products, and more! We also can tell you what the best tools are to apply products and get your lawn green and healthy all year long. See, the grass was and will be greener on the other side!
Heather Fesmire | Digital Marketing Assistant
David Jones | Horticulturist, Customer Service Specialist, & ISA Certified Arborist